Eggs, Zucchini, & Summer
You are right. There is no shortage of omelette/frittata recipes on this planet. But wait. This is different. This is summer. This is a Greek Island. This is childhood memories of summers with yiayia.
A couple of thousand kilometres from this Greek Island, we grate the zucchini. Once we let it sit, to let it drain itself of its juices, so do we. Sit that is.
“It won’t taste the same here.” Says Despina. “The zucchini just smells different there; the dill is more aromatic. I don’t know.. maybe I’m just homesick.” Once the eggs have been whisked, the herbs and the cheese added, and the pan placed in the oven, the aroma escapes; taking us on a journey from a kitchen in Switzerland to the summers of Despina’s childhood on the island of Mitilini (Lesbos).
Preparation time: 30’
Baking Time: 30’
- 3 zucchinis (courgettes), grated
- 10 eggs
- 150g feta cheese
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- A handful of herbs such as parsley, dill, & mint, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Place grated zucchini in a colander over the sink. Add salt and gently toss to combine; let sit for 10 minutes. Using a clean dish towel or cheese cloth, drain zucchini completely.
- Place a frying pan on medium heat and add a little olive oil. Add the chopped onion and shallots and sauté until lightly browned
- Add the grated zucchini and sauté for an extra 5-6 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper, take off heat and set aside
- Break the eggs into a big bowl, salt & pepper to taste and beat
- Crumble the feta cheese with your hands and add to bowl
- Add the zucchini and herb mixture to bowl
- Preheat the oven to 180C (356F)
- Add a little olive oil to a medium sized oven pan or dish (we used 2 pans- see pic) and spread out
- Add the egg mixture to pan
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown