Spaghetti & Greek Cheese
Spaghetti with Mizithra* and Fried Egg
By Chef Alexandros Fouroulis from the Athenian ‘Mani Mani’ Restaurant
A surprising dish with unparalleled taste. A superb example of the simple delights of pasta served with fried eggs.
- 1 packet spaghetti (preferably fresh)
- 100 gr mizithra cheese (mature salty cheese)
- 4 eggs
- Olive Oil
- Fresh butter
- Boil the pasta al dente (about 1 to 2 minutes shy of package instructions) & drain
- In a frying pan, add the olive oil and butter and fry the eggs slightly
- With a spatula, transfer them to a tray
- Using the same pan, stir fry the mizithra until golden brown
- Add the pasta and stir well
- Serve the pasta dividing between 4 plates & place one egg over each serving
- You can replace the Mizithra cheese with Parmesan or a cheese of your own choice.
- You can add vegetables (mushrooms, zucchini, etc.) to pasta
- Sprinkle a bit of truffle oil on the egg
- Add fresh grounded black pepper
*Mizithra (Mυζήθρα) is a fresh cheese made with sheep or goat’s milk. It resembles Italian ricotta, though Mizithra is typically drier.